Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
Looking west up Capitol Avenue from 16th Street we see that the old Omaha High School, built in 1870-72 is still standing as evidenced by its red brick tower and mansard roof observable from behind the east wing of Central High School. On the south side of Capitol is the old post office and up the street at 18th is Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. The steeple of First Methodist church at 20th & Davenport is seen to the right.
Text written by Joanne Ferguson Cavanaugh, November 2003