Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
Looking north, northwest from the intersection of 16th & Farnam many people are on the street, most probably having arrived by streetcar, for the Barnum & Bailey Circus parade. At the northwest corner of 16th & Farnam is the U. S. National Bank. On either side is the People’s Store, which had entrances both on the Farnam and the 16th Street sides. These buildings have been replaced by a parking garage. North of peoples is Brandeis which had opened only three years earlier in the fall of 1906. North across Douglas Street is the former Boston Store, Hayden Brothers, and the building with the clock tower is the Post Office at 16th and Dodge.
Text written by Joanne Ferguson Cavanaugh, November 2003
Becker, H. W. “Omaha: History in Photos – On July 19, they’d be (circus) stargazers.” Omaha Sun Newspaper, 9 August 1973.