Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
Located at what is now 52nd & Maple Streets, Krug Park began as a beer garden in 1895. Named for beer magnate Fred Krug, it served beer as well as having some amusements. Frederick Krug established a brewing business in Omaha in 1859. Krug’s Brewery was located on Farnam between 10th & 11th streets and was relocated in 1894 to 29th & Vinton Street near the South Omaha city limits. The large brick structure cost $750,000 and was one of the best equipped breweries in the country. Krug Park is perhaps most infamous as the site of the United States' worst roller coaster accident. On July 24, 1930, the 'Big Dipper' crashed killing 4 people. Krug Park declined afterwards, and was landscaped into a traditional style in 1955 and renamed Gallagher Park. The Krug Brewing company was sold to Falstaff Brewery in January 1936. Several buildings on the Falstaff site were demolished in September 1996.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan and Joanne Ferguson Cavanaugh, May 2009
Source: Omaha Public Library History Clipping File - Parks -Krug Park.