Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
This imposing mansion was located at 2211 St. Mary’s Avenue and belonged to James Mills Woolworth. Mr. Woolworth was Omaha’s first city attorney and for whom Woolworth Avenue was named. J.M. Woolworth received his law degree in New York and moved west in 1856. He achieved preeminence in the legal field and was admitted to the bar of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1862. He was also an active member of Trinity Cathedral. Despite J.M. Woolworth’s many interests, his home was renowned for its hospitality. The hall of this house was also famous for its large mantel made of brick, stone and wood taken from extinct buildings of early Omaha.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan, October 2003
Morton, J. Sterling. Illustrated History of Nebraska. Lincoln: Jacob North & Company, 1906. Pages 775-779.