Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
The gentlemen in this picture no doubt enjoyed the malt beverage advertised on the small, beer-glass shaped sign on the right corner of the Tremont House hotel. The beer advertised was that of F. Crug. Although his name was misspelled on the sign, Frederick Krug had a well established brewing business founded in 1859. At the time of this photograph, about 1878, Krug’s Brewery was located on Farnam between 10th & 11th streets. The Tremont House hotel shown here was built in 1856 on the south side of Douglas Street between 13th & 14th Street. It was opened by William F. Sweezy and Aaron Root. In the spring of 1866, all buildings on the south side of Douglas between 13th & 14th Street were moved to make way for Omaha’s first brick row a block long, the Caldwell Block. The big two-story frame Tremont House was moved to the southeast corner of 16th Street and Capitol Avenue.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan and Joanne Ferguson Cavanaugh, May 2009
Carey, Fred. The Romance of Omaha. Omaha, Nebraska: Bee News, 1929
Nebraska Daughters of the American Revolution. Nebraska Pioneer Reminiscences. Cedar Rapids, IA: Torch Press, 1916, p. 92.
Becker, H. W. “Omaha: History in Photos-No Thanks on Thanksgiving?” Omaha Sun Newspaper, 28 November 1974.