Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
The Swedish Mission movement was founded in the 1880ís in Sweden. Dissenters from the state run Lutheran Church formed their own church. Members of this society arrived in Omaha, Nebraska, in the late 1880ís. The Swedish Mission Church in the image shown here was located on the northeast corner of 23rd & Davenport streets. The lot was purchased on May 11, 1887, for $11,800 and the building was completed in 1888. The church was renamed First Covenant Church of Omaha in 1927.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan, November 2003