Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
This image, taken around 1909-1912, is a settlement house located at 1428 South 13th. Newly arrived immigrants, many of European origin, needed a place to stay before moving to more permanent quarters. Founded by local women’s groups and other charitable organizations, the Settlement House fulfilled this need.
The Settlement House was also where immigrants came to learn English and acquire job skills.
Accommodations for short-term stays were also available.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan, October 2003