Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
The Livestock National Bank began business in 1907 at the corner of 24th & N streets. Because of its proximity to the Stockyards many stockmen did business with the bank. As of 1916, the bank had assets of over 3 million dollars. Livestock National merged with Omaha National Bank in 1954. The grand total for all the financial institutions in Omaha in 1916-17 was $65 million or about $300 dollars per person. Omaha banks had a reputation for conservative practices and were recognized as such both at home and abroad.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan, November 2003