Early Omaha: Gateway to the West
|Collections||Exhibits||Street Map||Search||FAQs||Early Omaha Home|
Methodists have long been a part of Omaha religious history. The first religious services were held on August 13, 1854. Two lots were purchased on the southeast corner of 20th & Davenport streets from Mr. Frank Murphy for the church in this photograph. The cornerstone was laid on July 18,1889. The Spanish Romanesque structure was dedicated May 17, 1891. It was made from red sandstone quarried near Lake Superior. The tower at the northwest corner rose to 125 feet. The main entrance faced 20th Street. The property was valued at $125,000 in 1895. Fire destroyed the First Methodist Episcopal Church in February 1954.
Text written by Lynn Sullivan, November 2003